Hwarang: The Poet Warrior Youth (Hangul: 화랑; Hanja: 花郞; lit. Hwarang) is a South Korean television series starring Park Seo-joon, Go A-ra and Park Hyung-sik. It evolves around an elite group of young men called hwarang who discover their passions, love and friendship in the turmoil of the Silla Kingdom (57 B.C. - A.D. 935). The series aired every Monday and Tuesday at 22:00 (KST) on KBS2, from December 19, 2016 to February 21, 2017.
Watch all the episodes here.
Jiso has ruled the Kingdom of Silla as regent since King Beopheung died, keeping her young son Sammaekjong hidden outside of the capital Seorabeol and safe from enemies and assassins. As Sammaekjong comes of age, nobles, citizens, officials and Sammaekjong himself have all grown impatient for her to cede power. However the powerful nobles that tried to usurp power in the Kingdom continue to eye the throne and Ji-so fears the consequences of her ceding it.
In order to break the power of the nobles, who have grown accustomed to their privileges under the bone rank system, Jiso plans to create a new elite, the Hwarang, that will cut across the existing power factions, and to bind them to Sammaekjong and the throne. As this new elite of male youths bond and grow they are unaware that within their number is their future king, Sammaekjong, and Kim Sun-woo, a commoner with a secret even he is not aware of.
- Park Seo-joon as Moo-myung / Kim Sun-woo / Kim Isabu / Dog-Bird
- Go Ara as Kim Ah-ro
- Park Hyung-sik as Sammaekjong / Kim Ji-dwi / King Jinheung
- Sung Dong-il as Lord Kim Wi-hwa
- Choi Min-ho as Kim Soo-ho
- Do Ji-han as Park Ban-ryu
- Jo Yoon-woo as Kim Yeo-wool
- Kim Tae-hyung (V) as Suk Han-sung, who is the youngest hwarang of the lot who has a warm personality and gets along well with everyone. He is a bright and innocent boy who carries a heavy burden as the last jin-gol of his clan, Wolseong. Dan-sae's younger half brother. He treats Sun-woo as his brother. He stops Sun-woo from getting killed by grabbing the blade of Dan-sae's sword. However, he dies from the poison Dan-sae had applied on the blade to kill Sun-woo.
- Kim Jin-tae as Jang Hyun
- Jun Bum-soo as Kim Shin
- Ooon as Kim Ki-bo
- Park Ki-hoon as Joo Ki
- Lee Do-hoon
- Jin Ju-hyeong
- Kim Hyun-joon as Suk Dan-se
- Yoo Jae-myung as Pa-oh
- Jang Se-hyun as Kang Sung
- Kim Ji-soo as Queen Mother Ji-so
- Song Young-kyu as Lord Kim Hwi-kyung
- Seo Ye-ji as Princess Sook-myung
Royal Capital citizens
- Choi Won-young as Lord Kim Ahn-ji
- Kim Kwang-kyu as Pi Joo-ki
- Lee Da-in as Kim Soo-yeon
- Lee Kwang-soo as Mak-moon / Kim Sun-woo
- Kim Won-hae as Woo Reuk
Ministers of Silla
- Kim Chang-wan as Park Young-shil
- Lee Byung-joon as Lord Ho
- Ko In-bum as Kim Seup
- Kim Jong-goo as Suk Hyun-jae
|To view the Hwarang: The Poet Warrior Youth gallery, click here.|